I created this recipe for inclusion in a fundraiser cookbook for the Academy of Culinary Nutrition's "From Scratch Cookbook 2015." I am a proud alumni of the Culinary Nutrition Expert program and was thrilled to have this recipe included in the collection of creative culinary recipes.
French Mushroom Soup
Recipe Type: Soup
Author: Theresa Diulus
Prep time: 5 mins
Cook time: 30 mins
Total time: 35 mins
Serves: 10 cups
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 16 oz. mushrooms, sliced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 small cauliflower, rough chopped
- 8 cups water (can also use broth)
- 1 Tbsp. sea salt
- 1 tsp. Herbes de Provence
- Handful of fresh parsley or thyme
- Over medium heat, brown mushrooms in 1 Tbsp. olive oil in a 5-qt. soup pan. Once browned, remove from pan and set aside.
- To the pan, add chopped onions, salt, 1 Tbsp. oil and allow the onions to cook for a few minutes until translucent.
- Add cauliflower, Herbes de Provence and water to the pan. Bring to boil, and then simmer until cauliflower is tender, about 20 minutes.
- Save a few mushrooms for garnish if desired, otherwise add them all to the soup mixture and either transfer the soup to a blender, or use an immersion blender to purée.
- Garnish with reserved mushrooms, if using, chopped parsley and a drizzle of olive oil.